Extra Mile

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

John Crusey The Social Club Spotlight tour


It’s said that a little knowledge can be dangerous. If that knowledge is about the Social Club it can be deadly. That’s what 70-year-old, Mack McCormick learns when he stumbles onto the biggest story of his career as a newspaperman. Will he live to see it printed? The odds are against him

                                                         Excerpts


Betsy doesn’t say another word getting out of the car.  When she closes the rear door, the men drive away, leaving her standing in the parking lot, alone.  I can’t tell anyone what happened.  Who would believe me?  Who can I even trust?  The judge, a lawyer, the sheriff’s men, they were all in on this. What do I do?

                                                ---------------

Without asking if it was okay, Mack steps in and closes the door behind him, which seems to get more of the Executive Editor’s attention, “Is something wrong?” she asks.

Mack sits down on one of two chairs facing Susan’s desk.  “I don’t want you to think I’m playing games with you, or being melodramatic, but I’m into something real hot and extremely dangerous.”
Susan can see that he isn’t kidding, “Mack, what’s going on?  What is it?”
“I can’t tell you right now, without putting you in danger too, but I want to ask a favor of you.”
“Sure.  I’ll help in any way I can.”
Laying the sealed envelope on her desk and pushing it towards her, Mack says, “Swear that you won’t open this.  Just put it someplace safe and hold it for the next few days. If something happens to me, or I go missing, then open it up and use your best judgment.”
“Mack, you’re scaring the hell out of me.”
“That’s pretty much how I feel too, but like I said, for your safety, I don’t want you involved right now.  If everything goes all right, we’ll have the biggest story that this paper has ever run.  That I promise.”




BIO

John Crusey lives in Piqua, Ohio with his wonderful wife, Kathy, and their two cats, Mama and Earl.  Totally disabled in 1998, John began searching for activities that he could still take part in.  Writing grabbed him and hasn't let go.  Because of writing, John now says that being disabled was one of the best things that ever happened to him.  It also gave him the opportunity to learn a great deal about himself.  He wrote a weekly column for a local newspaper for about two years, and has sold several magazine articles.  Chicken Soup for the Recovering Soul used one of John's stories as their lead.  In 2012, his first eBook, Ella, came out.  Ella is a fictionalized account of the life of one of John's close friends.  Everything that happens to Ella in the story is true, but names and geography are changed to keep her true identity hidden.  Through a long struggle, John has regained a lot of what he'd lost when he was disabled, and he enjoys riding his tadpole, recumbent trike on Piqua's beautiful bike path every chance he gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment